Alice Sokoloff Photography

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Portrait Session with Yana & Dima

I've been reading this book that apparently everyone has heard of (and read) and I somehow missed called "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" by Malcolm Gladwell. The premise of the book, in shamelessly abbreviated form, is that first impressions and gut reactions are often more accurate and can be better guides to us in life than our best thought out decisions and conclusions. In fact, the quality of a relationship can be determined with 90% accuracy (by an expert), claims this book, by observing the couple in question for only a few minutes. Astounding!

It was still under the impression of this book that I met with Yana and Dima for their portrait session at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco. I have known Yana for years, but was meeting Dima for the first time. And after spending just two hours with them, I was filled with such happiness and elation that on the drive home I thought to myself--this is what Gladwell meant by that "gut feeling." I wasn't consciously trying to assess the quality of their relationship, but being around them and observing their interaction, so genuine and caring, made me truly happy for them!

But I think I have taken too long to segue to what you have really come here to see--the photos. In my over-long prelude I forgot to mention just how good-looking this couple is. They made my job easy! Please enjoy some of my favs from Sunday's session.

The beautiful Palace of Fine Arts. We really lucked out with the wheather as well--it was overcast for two days straight before our photo session, but the sky cleared up just for us, it would seem. :-)

1.

And now on to our fabulous couple!

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

The post-processing on the next one is a little out there; it's certainly not for everyone, but I couldn't resist including it here! :-)

10.

11.

I find the next image to be very sensual in its subtlety.

12.

And then we came upon this amazing wall that not surprisingly expressly prohibited climbing onto the steps... Of course we couldn't resist!

13.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20.

Being the incorrigible Europhile that I am, I am very drawn to this next image. To me, at least, it feels very European... :-)

21.

22.

23.

Is it me, or does Yana look like Meg Ryan here? Or Cameron Diaz? Either way, that's a terrific smile!

24.

25.

26.

27.

28.

29.

30.

31.

Until next time!
www.alicesokoloffphotography.com

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Innochka, thank you! We really enjoyed our photo session. Dima & Yana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, indeed...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Labels